Monday, August 1, 2011

Chicago, IL

Our plan was to get into Chicago in time to see a White Sox game...they were playing the Red Sox!  But we hit some traffic and by the time we checked into our hotel, it was too late.  The girls were disappointed.  They really wanted to see the Red Sox.  We ended up grabbing dinner instead.  We ate at Gino's East, which is a pizza place that rivals Lou Malnati's (where we ate on our first stop in Chicago).  We can't fairly compare them because they are both known for their deep dish and we ordered the thin crust at Gino's.  But we all liked Lou Malnati's better and it was cheaper!  The restaurant decor was interesting.  Everything, and I mean everything, was covered in graffiti left from customers.  It made for good reading while we waited for our food.







  Someone had asked how we planned the trip, so I thought I would document that also.  Jay spent a lot ( and I mean a ton) of time researching places he knew we'd like to see along the way.  He did such a great job choosing places each of us could enjoy - fairs for the kids, he was always on the lookout for antiques for me and sports related stops for himself. 

Jay and I had very different roles on the trip.  I spent a lot of time trying to keep the kids from falling apart and I blogged.  Jay took care of our itinerary and I know we would still be lost somewhere out west if it were up to me.  He was amazing at checking distances and hotels...everything ran so smoothly and we had nothing set in stone.  Some people may not be able to travel like that, but it gave us a chance to change things along the way if need be.  He also drove most of the way and was our laundry guy, which was a nice change of pace for me.   

We love Priceline.  We use the site for hotels, car rentals and airfare when we take trips.  You can get amazing deals on hotel stays if you use the 'name your own price' option.  We would wake up in the morning and figure out where we'd realistically be by early evening and would use Priceline.  We saved close to 50% every night by doing this. 

Knowing Chicago was our last big night of our trip, we splurged a little and stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel (still 40% off its regular price).  This was by far the nicest hotel we stayed in on the trip.  The employees were so attentive.  When we arrived to check in the woman at the desk was asking all about the girls and telling them how cute they were.  I walked away thinking how nice she was because none of the other hotels paid much attention to the kids, let alone talk to them for five minutes.

After dinner, we walked into the room and the kids screamed, "CUPCAKES!"  I was shocked when I saw this plate and a note that said: 
Your girls are super cute.  If you need anything, let me know.  
And it was signed by the woman at the desk.  The kids were going on and on about it.  I'm just happy it happened at the end of the trip or they would have been wondering where their cupcakes were at every hotel.
 
Best hotel ever!


2 comments:

  1. What?! You're coming home already? But reading this blog has become a part of my nightly routine! Can't wait to see you and catch up once you're settled back in : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet abt the goodies!
    and thanks for the great post abt planning the trip :)

    ReplyDelete