Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Gittana, Italy

This morning we walked to the ferry dock to meet Chef Moreno from Ristorante Il Caminetto. He drove us to his restaurant in the town of Gittana for a cooking lesson.



The restaurant has been in Moreno's family for eight generations!

He began with making a traditional dough that can be used for all different types of pasta. Today, he was making a ricotta and herb tortellini.





While the dough was resting, he began to prepare the veal loin.



We enjoyed espresso and cappuccino and the girls drank fresh made hot chocolate. I've never seen hot chocolate so thick and rich. It was incredible.





The prosciutto and herb wrapped veal loin...



I was most surprised by his gravy. He said in the time that it takes to boil water for pasta, your tomato gravy can be prepared. It was one of the best I've ever had and took under 10 minutes to cook!



Moreno rolled out the dough next and it took a lot of time and muscle.



Once the dough was rolled paper thin, it was cut into squares and ready for the ricotta and herb filling. 







The girls got to fold some tortellini...





The food was amazing! So fresh and flavorful!



While the veal rested, Moreno made a brown gravy with the drippings. Oh man, it was so, so good.



We're so thankful to have spent the day cooking with Moreno. I learned lots of tips and tricks I never knew before and will definitely try my hand at making fresh pasta. 

This was such a memorable experience! 







After lunch, we napped again. I'm beginning to think Europeans have the right idea with their siestas. 

Espresso
Work...play...eat
Siesta
Eat some more
Gelato

The perfect day!

Later, we hit the streets of Varenna for dinner and more exploring. It was such a foggy night.





Sea glass jackpot!



Rose isn't turning in for the night without her gelato. This is reminiscent of our last trip to Italy. 



Tomorrow we'll head into Bellagio and go for a banana boat ride out on Lake Como!

1 comment:

  1. That must of been so much fun!! Can't wait to hear about what you learned!!๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿท๐Ÿ•๐Ÿ

    ReplyDelete